Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Shailene Woodley on being cut from The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Shailene Woodley chats about learning she's been cut out of director Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2...

It might be fair to say that Shailene Woodley has had the last laugh here. Originally cast to play Mary Jane in this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2, she was eventually cut from the film, with the strong suggestion that the role would be recast for The Amazing Spider-Man 3.

With the world now having seen The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it's hard to see where the character of MJ could have fitted in, given that there was so much going on already. That notwithstanding though, Woodley has now headlined two films that have topped the box office this year. Divergent hit earlier in the year, and did good business. And she's one of the two leads in The Fault In My Stars, which is the surprise hit of the summer in the US.

Chatting to Vanity Fair however, Woodley has been discussing when she got the news that her MJ wasn't going to make the cut in Spider-Man. “For a few hours it was literally like, ‘Oh, my God, was I awful? Why did they cut me? What are people going to think?’", she admitted. But then she said that "I woke up the next morning and I was like, ‘OK, it makes total sense.’ I’m a pretty spiritual person, so I can just sit back and trust that everything happens for a reason, even if my ego doesn’t like it".

Woodley's commitments to the rest of the Divergent movie saga are likely to keep her from Spider-Man. But that's not been 100% confirmed yet.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites