Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Ed Sheeran Credits Eminem With Helping Him Overcome Stuttering

Showing support for the American Institute for Stuttering, Ed Sheeran attended the Freeing Voices Changing Lives Benefit Gala in New York City on Monday night (June 8). During his speech, the “Runaway” singer told the crowd that he struggled for years with stuttering and it wasn’t until he listened to Eminem that he was able to defeat his impediment.

ADVERTISING
Ed explained, “I was a very, very weird child. I had a port-wine birthmark on my face that got lasered off when I was very young; one day, they forgot to put the anesthetic on, and ever since then, I had a stutter…. And I lacked an eardrum on one side of my ear, so stuttering was actually the least of my problems. The hardest thing was knowing what to say but not really being able to express it the right way. My Uncle Jim told my dad that Eminem was the next Bob Dylan – it’s pretty similar, it’s all just storytelling – so my dad bought me The Marshall Mathers LP when I was nine years old, not knowing what was on it. I learned every word of it, back to front, by the time I was ten.

Eminem raps very fast and melodically and percussively, and it helped me get rid of the stutter. Stuttering is not a thing you have to be worried about at all. Even if you have quirks and weirdness, you shouldn’t be worried about that… Embrace your weirdness. From a stuttering point of view, don’t treat it as an issue. Work through it and get the treatment you want to get, but don’t ever see it as a plight on your life. Carry on pushing forward.”

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites