Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ex-CEO Steve Ballmer calls it a day as Microsoft board member

Steve Ballmer has officially stepped down as a board member of Microsoft, announcing the move in a letter to current CEO Satya Nadella. The 58-year-old took the reins as CEO from Bill Gates back in 2000, resigning earlier this year to make way for Nadella. "Dear Satya, as I approach the six month mark of my retirement and your appointment as CEO, I have been reflecting on my life, my ongoing ownership of Microsoft stock, and my involvement with the company," wrote Ballmer.

"Given my confidence and the multitude of new commitments I am taking on now, I think it would be impractical for me to continue to serve on the board, and it is best for me to move off." Ballmer has been part of the company for 34 years, but now wants to turn his attention to the Los Angeles Clippers basketball team, which he acquired for $2bn earlier this month.

The ex-CEO still owns 333 million shares in Microsoft, which puts his stake at around 4%, and says he still plans to stay in touch with the firm. "I bleed Microsoft — have for 34 years and I always will. I continue to love discussing the company’s future. I love trying new products and sending feedback. I love reading about what is going on at the company. Count on me to keep ideas and inputs flowing," explains Ballmer.

"The company will move to higher heights. I will be proud, and I will benefit through my share ownership. I promise to support and encourage boldness by management in my role as a shareholder in any way I can.  Satya Nadella posted an open response to Ballmer, writing:

"Thank you for all of your support during my transition this year and for the past 34 years. It's been a great privilege to have worked with you and learned from you. While your insights and leadership will be greatly missed as part of the board, I understand and support your decision."

"As you embark on your new journey, I am sure that you will bring the same boldness, passion and impact to your new endeavors that you brought to Microsoft, and we wish you incredible success. I also look forward to partnering with you as a shareholder." Steve's resignation from the board is effective immediately.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites